Property Damage Claims

Buying or renovating a property is one of the most expensive purchases you will make in your lifetime. When purchasing or renovating a property you may use several services to develop your investment such as builders, labourers, contractors, construction workers, skilled craftsmen, carpenters, plumbers or electricians.

Negligent construction or renovation work in breach of health and safety rules on property can cause physical damage, leading to financial loss and damage to your property. We offer legal advice on professional negligence claims making it simple for you to understand what you can claim for and the process in which to do so.

I have suffered property damage, do I have a claim?

You may have a legal claim for negligence against a professional such as a construction worker if you have experienced any of the below:

  • electrical defects from negligent electrician services such as dodgy wiring or exposed wiring that could potentially lead to a fire;
  • plumbing defects such as an incorrectly fitted boiler which could result in carbon monoxide poisoning/ no heating;
  • faulty extensions due to poor construction or incomplete construction resulting in a dangerous structure making the property unsafe to rent/live in; and
  • construction defects.

Legal claims and disputes against “Cowboy” builders

Builders are regulated professionals and are required to follow the guidelines, regulations and specifications as set out by the governing bodies of the building trade such as The Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE).

The CABE holds itself out as creating and promoting high standards of professional qualification, conduct and practice.

However if a builder or construction worker falls below this standard and does not comply with the regulations and requirements they may be negligent.

Our experienced barristers and solicitors will guide you through your potential matter and advise whether you have a case for negligence to get financial redress.

Claims against Negligent Plumbers

Many properties require the need for plumbing services whether it is installing new radiators or replacing a boiler etc. UK Plumbers are regulated by the Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering (CIPHE).

Have you recently used plumbing services and been left with water damage? Is your tap leaking? Has your kitchen or bathroom been incorrectly plumbed? Have you suffered water damage to your property as a result of a sub-standard plumber? In the event that substandard or negligent plumbing services leads to you sustaining financial loss, our team of barristers and solicitors can advise you on a potential professional negligence claim.

Electrician Professional Negligence Claims

If you have had faulty wiring fitted which has led to property damage, accidents or financial loss you are eligible to make a professional negligence claim.

What are the time limits for a property damage negligence claim?

You have 6 years from the date of the event constituting negligence or 3 years from the date you realised negligence occurred to bring a claim.

What are my options before issuing a legal claim for property damage?

If you have suffered financial losses from negligent construction trades workmen you can make a complaint through the firm’s own complaints handling procedure in which we can assist with.  If an individual tradesman belongs to a professional trade organisation a complaint can be brought to the organisation directly.

We advise that (depending on the circumstances of your case) that you should take independent legal advice at the outset. Any correspondence to the negligent construction work and/or their legal representatives is more persuasive when you make detailed and authoritative submissions via lawyers.

Making a claim against negligent builders

Claims against negligent builders/construction workers/tradesmen can be brought under section 1 of the Defective Premises Act 1972.  Under this act any person who takes on work for or in connection with the provision of a dwelling (new builds or extensions) owes a duty if the dwelling is provided to the order of any person and to every person who acquires an interest in the dwelling.

A claim for negligence can be brought if an individual fails to act in a way in which a person with the same skill and expertise would act.

Book an Initial Consultation with our Professional Negligence Lawyers

Do you have a claim against a professional? If you want expert legal advice, do not delay in instructing us so we can assess the legal merit of your case.

We can often take on such claims on a no win no fee basis (such as a Conditional Fee Arrangement) once we have discussed the claim with you and then assessed and advised you on the merits of the proposed professional negligence action.

Our expert legal team of leading Professional Negligence Solicitors & Barristers can provide urgent help, advice or representation to you. Just call our Professional Negligence Lawyers on 02071830529 or email us now.

Instruct Specialist Professional Negligence Solicitors

We are a specialist City of London law firm made up of Solicitors & Barristers operating from the only law firm based in the Middle Temple Inns of Court adjacent to the Royal Courts of Justice. Our team have expertise in advising on claims for compensation against professionals that have fallen below the standard expected, which causes clients financial or personal loss. We are experienced in bringing successful claims against negligent solicitors, barristers, financial advisers, surveyors, valuers, architects, builders, tax advisers and IFAs.

Call Now search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close